Sunday, June 9, 2013

Jam Layer Treat (Heather)

That's right folks, after the (almost) epic fail of the Savoury Supper, I've gone back to desserts. They are almost impossible to mess up, and they are always delicious!

Jam Layer Treat (Heather)

On the menu today is Jam Layer Treat. And a treat it was! Typically, I tend to avoid anything in layers - mainly because it means you have to bake the thing twice. I'm the first to admit I'm an instant gratification kind of gal (this is the exact reason I gave up on knitting and started making cards. Unless your training for the Olympics in their Speed Knitting category like my mom, it's very unlikely you're going to get something done in an hour).

Today's recipe is my Aunt Heather's treat. My Aunt Heather and Uncle George (Uncle George is my grandfather's brother) lived down the street from my grandparents (and us) when I was growing up and they were a big part of our life too. Fortunately, we still see them semi-regularly - generally Remembrance Day and lately, funerals. But they are good people, like my grandparents. Kind, giving, involved in their community - the whole package.

Grandma is the one with the bow on her head
Aunt Heather is the one laughing at her
Unfortunately I don't have a lot of pics of my Aunt Heather but I found this one with them at the Legion preparing bows for a "Brown Bag Lunch".

I was excited to try this recipe out and honour my grandmother (who liked it enough to save it) and my great-aunt, who it belonged to!


The Recipe Card:
Jam Layer Treat Recipe - Front

Jam Layer Treat Recipe - Back

Can you tell it was well loved? I'm going to guess that the brown splotches is the topping - someone must have gotten a little wild and crazy with the spoon.


The Process:
I was so pleasantly surprised to see that this 'layer' treat was not baked twice! This is good news for lazy-in-the-kitchen me.

First step, making the bottom - basically a glorified shortbread. yum!

Flour, better, sugar... who needs more than that? Seriously. That's it.

The best part? The recipe included this absolutely amazing little tidbit of technique. It has definitely been stored away in the memory banks for years to come:

"A spoon dipped in hot water will make it easier spreading"

A spoon dipped in hot water will make it easier to spread you say?

Right as rain! It worked like a charm.

Mmmm base layer...

Next up, adding the jam layer. Easy enough! No exact measurements here, go willy-nilly with the Welch's, my friends! 

And then it's time to mix up the topping. If there is someone out there who can explain the need for whipping egg whites into peeks only to add more ingredients that will flatten them down again anyway, I would love to hear from you. 

Especially since I don't have one of these fancy egg beating contraptions that my grandma had:

Photo Source

I digress.... So, I whipped the egg whites as stiff as I could get them without losing my limb in the process, and off we go.

"Mostly" stiff egg whites


Add the remaining ingredients and pour on top of the already delicious looking base layers. 





Pop it in the oven and brace yourself for the longest 35 minutes you've ever experienced. 



The Recipe:

Base:
3/4 cup Butter or Margarine
1/4 cup Sugar
1-1/2 cup sifted Flour
Jam

Topping:
1 egg white
3/4 cup Brown Sugar
1/4 tsp Salt
1/2 tsp Vanilla
1/2 cup shredded Coconut

Directions:
Cream butter, add sugar and blend well. Add flour gradually.
When well mixed, spread evenly in cake pan 8" square
(A spoon dipped in hot water will make it easier spreading)
Spread thinly with jam.
Beat egg white until stiff. Add sugar, salt and vanilla. Fold in Coconut
Cover with topping and bake 325 for 35 mins

YES!! You see that?! Bake 325 degrees for 35 minutes!! Who knew that someday baking instructions would make me giddy - the things you take for granted...

All done!

My Personal Notes:

  • As you can see from the photos, I clearly forgot the very delicate process of creaming the butter and the sugar together and then gradually adding the flour. That goes back to the instant gratification comment above. Or the lazy-in-the-kitchen one. Take your pick!
  • I used blueberry jam, and it was delicious. But I suspect some homemade raspberry jam would be divine. Or even Rhubarb, if that's the sort of thing you're into. 
  • Definitely let this cool before cutting/serving. It'll make a huge difference.  

In case you're wondering - those are my grandma's dishes. 

These didn't last long in our house :)

Next on the menu is Ham & Broccoli Rollups, so be sure to check back in a few days!

*~Tara-Jane~*

1 comment:

  1. This looks very similar to some squares that my Mom makes. Looks very yummy. Glad it was a success Tara!

    ReplyDelete